An oily skin, if not taken care of quite right, may suffer from a number of problems such as acne, spots, blackheads and a thick shiny complexion. However, oiliness is also a good feature since oily skin tends to show less aging signs like wrinkles. Using sunscreen at all time is a must. Other than that, read the following tips in order to maintain your skin at its best shape.
1 Use a gentle cleanser or one that is specific for oily skin and acne. Your cleanser must contain elements like benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, or beta-hydroxy acid.
2. Unless you have been sweating, wash your face two times a day, in the morning and in the evening. Washing your face so many times deprives your skin off its nutrients and moisture and increases its oil production.
3. Don’t scrub too hard, it stimulates more oil production.
4. Keep track of the cleansers you use. If you have tried a certain cleanser for a couple of weeks and it didn’t go well with your skin, write down its name so you don’t use it again.
5. If you notice your skin getting oily throughout the day, a simple plotting paper will suck up the excess oil.
6. Even oily skin needs to be moisturized, but make sure to stay away from creams and pick a water-based or oil-free moisturizer.
7. To clear your skin off dirt and oils, exfoliate at least once a week.
8. When you use a toner, use it only on oily areas to avoid dry patches on your skin.
9. Pick your foundation and makeup gel, liquid or powder based. When using liquid, make sure its water based. Your makeup should be labeled “noncomedongenic” to avoid blocking your pores.
10. It’s very important to avoid squeezing or popping your pimples as it will leave reddening and scars behind.